Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Recipe to share

I honestly can't remember how long ago I came up with this. 
But is has created a following like nothing else I make.
{ok, maybe Carrot Cake wins over, not sure.}

It went like this...
me : "I think I'll make a cheeseball for Thanksgiving, sounds good."
my chef : "oh, really?...ok." with a sincere nose curl & grimace."
me : "no, not like those Port-o-cheddar things you see in the grocery store! This will be good...."
and so I tinkered. 
I've changed a few things since the first round of cheeseball 
and to me it is a seasonal thing. 
Thanksgiving & Christmas
but I've been given grief on that {Tiffany tried to get me to make it for the lake. Not a summer food to me.}

Here goes:
2 8oz. cream cheese, softened. Important to let these soften on the counter, otherwise it won't mix well!
1/2 C of cranberry chutney (I've gotten this in the past from Trader Joes, they didn't bring it in despite my round of calls begging. SO. It can be substituted with other chutney + cranberries
1/2 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 C grated gruyere cheese
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 C chopped green onion {green & white parts}
salt & pepper {just a bit}

Then, 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts. This can be a preference. I like almonds & pecans best but I've used walnuts too. No peanuts or cashews here...

Add all 7 ingredients in a bowl. Do not do in food processor, the green onions get stringy, yuck. I like to make it the day before to let the flavors meld, everyone agrees its better but if your late, oh well. Then with your best kitchen utensils, your hands- mold it in a ball.
Before serving roll it in your chopped nuts. 
Serve with crackers & sliced fuji apples {apples are my favorite!}

This recipe has been tried & tested all over. I can guarantee yummy-ness. 

somehow I've never taken a picture of it done
{I will this year!}
but here is it in the midst 
And just a note to finish the story, one bite & he was smitten. 


No comments:

Post a Comment